VISHAL SHAH/ April 25, 2017/ Features, Restaurant SetUp, Small Business


Well, thinking about a restaurant in India is not that simple. You need 13 different kinds of Licenses and permits, which has been mentioned below –

  1. Health/Trade license: For this particular license, you need to visit your local civil authorities. For example, if you’re opening a restaurant in Gurgaon, you need to visit their respective site, which is in order to register yourself and complete the process.
  2. Food safety license: This license can be obtained from FSSAI (Food Safety and Standards Authority of India). For that, you can check the website of Ministry of Health and Family Welfare and find their link at
  3. Eating house license: It is provided by Licensing Police Commissioner of your city. For opening a restaurant in Delhi, you need to visit and follow the procedures as mentioned in which is the website of Licensing Police Commissioner of Delhi.
  4. Fire Department: Along with the above-mentioned four licenses, you also have to ensure the obedience of all the fire safety procedures. For this license, you need to submit an application to the Chief Fire Officer in order to obtain a NOC. Alongside, you can also interact with the Chief Fire Officer if there is any deferment in issuing of fire safety guidelines, conducting inspection or issuing of NOC post inspection. At present, the department does not impose any charges for this task.
  5. Liquor license: In case you are intending to serve liquor in your restaurant, you must possess this license. You can obtain it from local Excise Commissioner. In Delhi, you need to visit Delhi Government site at and follow the guidelines.
  6. Music license: For entertainment also, you need to acquire this license from Phonographic Performance Ltd. (PPL). Their website is At present, they are functioning as copyright suppliers for sound records of music and creations of its members.
  7. Lift clearance: Did you think you can yourself install an elevator in your multi-storey restaurant? If yes, then you are in some kind of delusion. Before installing a lift, you need to get clearance from Roads and Buildings Department.
  8. Pollution certificate: For providing this license in Delhi, Delhi Pollution Control Committee (DPCC) is responsible. You can visit them at
  9. Certificate of Environmental Clearance (CEC): This permit can be obtained from the EMA for certain kinds of activities or projects. To obtain it, Ministry of Environment and Forests can be approached and questionnaire can be submitted for environmental appraisal. The reference website is
  10. Shops and Establishment Act: Registering your restaurant under the Shops and Establishment Act is necessary.
  11. Insurance: You need four kinds of insurances that are mandatory. These are –
    1. Public Liability
    2. Product Liability
    3. Fire Policy
    4. Building & Asset

    There are several other insurance policies as well. They are not compulsory but can be useful if you get them.

  12. Signage license: This license can be acquired from local civil authorities.
  13. Prevention of Food and Adulteration (PFA) Act, 1954: Having this license can add on to the quality of your restaurant’s food. The PFA Act covers general procedures for sampling, food standards, powers of authorized officers, analysis of food, parameters related to food and nature of penalties. It safeguards India against unsafe, impure and fraudulently labeled foods.
Share this Post